Leaving Shelter

Today, I finished the chapter about Ibtisam and her family staying at the shelter in Al-Salt City. The entire time that they had stayed there, they had been safe and they were happy a majority of the time. Everyone at the shelter got at least some food everyday and they were provided with blankets, so they tried to remain positive.

However, toward the end of the chapter, Ibtisam’s mother decided it would be best for them to leave with Hamameh, the wife of the truck driver, and her kids to go find Hamameh’s parents in Amman. Ibtisam was happy that they were finally moving on to a new place, but she became very sad when she found out that she could not bring her new friend, Souma, with her. However her mother told her that there was not enough room in the car and that he would not be happy if they made him leave his home. Ibtisam understood and said goodbye to Souma and then she got in the taxi and they left for Amman.

I felt like this chapter was a little disappointing, honestly. It did make me feel good to know that people were trying to take care of them while they were at the shelter, but some things about the shelter were a little depressing. For example, they were not provided with water, if they were thirsty, they had to drink the rainwater, which is a little nasty. However, I bet that if I was in a circumstance like that, I probably wouldn’t care about how clean the water was either, I would just take what I was given. Other than that, I thought it was a very interesting chapter and I’m excited to see what Hamameh’s parents are like when they make it to Amman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Saving Grace

The Trek to Jordan